Showing 1 results

Archival description
Loftus, William Kennett, 1820-1858, geologist, naturalist, explorer and archaeological
Print preview Hierarchy View:

Proofs and Drawings

Large red folder consisting in the front page of the volume Monuments of Nineveh, originally published in 1849. A label attached on the cover describes its contents as Monuments of Nineveh, AH Layard, proofs and drawing s, but the folder also includes scattered folios and later additions. Indeed, inside it there are 16 pages comprising proofs, corrected by Layard himself, of both Monuments of Nineveh and of the later volume A Second Series of the Monuments of Nineveh (published in 1853). The folder also contains some of the original drawings and engravings of plates for both volumes, with annotations and captions in English and German written by Layard and likely by the engraver, Ludwig Gruner. Additional material consists of: one envelope containing the Report of the Assyrian Excavation Fund, February 20, 1855 19 plates from Layard's publications one newspaper cutting from The Illustrated People's Paper with an image of the Nineveh Court at Crystal Palace 2 printed images and 2 pages with handmade sketches 1 photograph of Henry and Enid Layard with their 2 nieces (Ola and Nela) and Sir Henry Thompson having a picnic on the Lido in Venice (dated May 1892) watercolours, sketches and palace maps (some of them with annotations and measurements) made by Layard while he was travelling through the East and working in the field envelope sent by W.K. Loftus containing copies of some of the plate of his Lithographic Facsimiles of Inscriptions in the Cuneiform Character from the Ruins of Susa (1852) together with six copies of inscriptions made by Layard.